What is a USI
It is a government requirement that all students undertaking nationally recognised training must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) in order to receive a qualification. The objective of the USI is to provide Australian students with a lifelong identification number where training outcomes and achievements can be individually captured, kept secure and accessed on demand by the student or by training provider as needed.
All students must have a USI before any Registered Training Organisation (RTO) can issue a Statement of Attainment (SoA) or Qualification Certificate upon the successful completion of training.
View a short video on the USI or download the Student Quick Guide
Creating a USI
It’s free and easy to create a USI and will only take a few minutes. To create a USI go to the Unique Student Identifier website and follow the steps.
To create a USI you are required to provide:
- Personal information - name, date of birth etc.
- Contact Information - at least one method of contact e-mail, mobile or mail
- Form of ID - ID options: Driver’s Licence, Medicare card, Australian passport, Visa (with Non-Australian passport) for international students, Birth certificate (Australian), Certificate of Registration by Descent, Citizenship certificate, Immicard
- Information from the Department of Industry has been provided with regards to your privacy and security
- Protection of students privacy.
Your Unique Student Identifier (USI) contains some personal information, contact details and your training records and results (transcript). The USI system has been designed to keep this information safe and secure and is only accessed by those organisations listed in the terms and conditions.
The USI system also allows you to choose which training organisations and employers who can see this information and when.
For further information please refer to the Australian Government, Department of Industry, Skills Unique Student Identifier Help Centre for students or contact REINSW on (02) 9264 2343.